These are all the presentations we (or our supporting cycling clubs) have made so far in regards to better and safer cycling infrastructure in the Region of Durham, ON, Canada.
Current work in progress:
- Worked with Regional staff on new updated cycling tourism maps for Durham Region – they are now available from the Region of Durham.
- We are working with the Region of Durham to create Cycling Videos. A few have been released – see here and here .
- DRCC is working with Pickering staff, beginning to update their 1996 cycling plan.
- We are commenting on Regional Transportation Master Plan (TMP) – see us if you have any questions or input suggestions.
On April 9th, 2015 prior to formation of the DRCC one of our supporting clubs, the Durham Cycling Club, made a presentation to the Durham Region Joint meeting.
On May 25th, 2015 prior to formation of the DRCC one of our supporting clubs, the Durham Cycling Club, made a presentation to the Whitby Council. This was as a result of an invitation by two Whitby Regional councillors.
On June 22nd, 2015 prior to formation of the DRCC one of our supporting clubs, the Durham Cycling Club, made this followup presentation to the Whitby Council, regarding the creation of the Whitby “Active Transportation Committee“. Move forward six months, November 2nd, 2015 and Whitby created an Active Transportation committee.
On October 22nd, 2015 the DRCC made a presentation to the Ajax Active Transportation committee (NOTE – Ajax was the 1st municipality in Durham Region to have a Cycling or Active Transportation committee). Great forward thinking Ajax!
On November 2nd, 2015 the Town of Whitby passed By-law #7049-15, the Establishment of the Active Transportation and safe roads advisory committee. The second municipality in the Region to have such a committee A great step Whitby!
On November 30th, 2015 the DRCC made a presentation to the Uxbridge Council (after they sent a invitation for DRCC to speak to Council). The durhamregion.com covered the presentation, click here to see it.
- We later found out, we were not the first presentation on improving Active Transportation (including Cycling) done in Uxbridge. Here is another earlier presentation on a very similar topic. You can view a copy of Trudy Ledsham and Suzanne Kershaw presentation here.
- Some good newspaper coverage about Uxbridge cycling found here.
- see an additional UCC presentation below, done on July 11, 2016.
Also On November 30th, 2015 the City of Oshawa passed a By-law to establish an Active Transportation as well. The third municipality in the Region to have such a committee. A move forward Oshawa!
On Dec 4th, 2015 DMBA (Durham Mountain Bike Association, a DRCC member club) did a presentation for Durham Regions Trails committee. DRCC was there in support.
On January 14th, 2016 we did a presentation at the Region of Durham’s HQ regarding closing unsafe GAPS in the cycling network. This is the first of many we are planning.
On March 4th, 2015 DMBA (Durham Mountain Bike Association, a DRCC member club) was asked to be a guest speaker at the Cycle Tourism Conference. DRCC was there in support.
On March 6, 2016 we did a presentation at the Township of Scugog (after the Mayor invited the DRCC to speak to Council)
On April 11, 2016 we did a presentation at the City of Pickering, see that presentation here.
On May 12, 2016 we did a presentation at the Town of Ajax, at the request of the Mayor, see presentation here.
On July 11th, 2016 one of the DRCC supporting cycling club (Uxbridge Cycling Club) did another presentation for Uxbridge Council, see here. DRCC was in attendance for support. As result an ad hock cycling committee was endorsed by Council. Great progress UCC and Uxbridge township!
On March 12th, 2017 DRCC presented at the Share the Road, Bike Summit. Here is our presentations.